This page contains links to documents created for the Computer Beginners' group, 2012-2016. In 2016 the group became the Computing Forum
and no more documents were published.
Please tap on any blue writing on this web page to "follow a link" and find out more about using computing devices.
If group / forum members have any problems, please e-mail me at jer123 @ janetelizabeth.org.uk (no spaces) or phone me on 504506.
Documents for Autumn 2015 (Windows 10)
We will find out what your computer can do and how to control it from basic familiarity (including switching on and off) and using gestures
like swipe and pinch. You will learn how to understand what your computer is displaying, using techniques such as those on my web page:
How to be a good guesser
1. To upgrade to Windows 10 or not?
- a U3A document
2. Basic Introduction
to Windows 10 - a U3A document
3. Whizzy 3-minute video "Everything you wanted to know about Windows 10" by Currys PCWorld featuring Jon Bentley
4. Gentle 35-minute video "Windows 10 Beginners' Guide" from JAG Tutorials
5. How to de-clutter your computer screen
in Windows 10 - a U3A document
6. How to Guard your privacy
- a U3A document
7. Using touch gestures
in Windows 10, like swipe and pinch - a U3A document
Documents for Spring 2016
The spring topics are relevant to any computer
, not just Windows 10. We will look at viruses and fraud, e-mail attachments and discerning use of the world-wide web.
1. Be safe
using your computer
2. Get to know your e-mail client
3. E-mail attachments - receiving
4. Set up Firefox
and protect your privacy
5. Become a discerning user
of the web
6. Suggested web sites